Since 1986, CEA members have had the right to attend professional conferences and workshops in and out of town. The district provides $200,000 per year to cover travel, registration and other expenses for these activities. Section 702.16 of our Master Agreement establishes the professional leave fund, which is governed by a Joint CEA/Board Committee.
Here are the guidelines:
* Download and print the current application and forms from the district's Human Resources Intranet.
* Advance approval is required, and you must apply approximately two months prior to the event. The next two deadlines: Sept. 24 for an event in or after November and Oct. 22 for an event in or after December.
* Preference is given to workshops in the Columbus area and in Ohio.
* No trips are allowed outside the continental U.S.
* Applicants are limited to $1,800 over a two-year period.
* Generally, no more than two teachers per building and no more than five teachers in the district may attend an out-of-state conference for a particular activity.
* Expenses will not be approved in conjunction with personal-leave use.
* Professional memberships are not reimbursable--unless such membership reduces the conference registration cost.
* Approved applicants must reserve and pay for their own lodging expenses and be reimbursed.
* Air travel is approved only if a conference is more than 300 miles away. Mileage costs are reimbursable at the approved IRS rate.
Check airline ticket prices at Uniglobe Travel Designers (237-4488) or Kenley Konnection (898-9505). Identify yourself as a CCS employee. Get an approval number to have your reservations billed directly to CCS.