Assault upon teachers

Each year, dozens of teachers file assault charges against students of all ages. You can file charges by calling the police to your home or building, filing with your School Resource Officer or going to Juvenile Court.

CEA will help you through the process. Any teacher who is assaulted should file charges, fill out an Accident Report form and use Assault Leave as necessary. It is important to complete the paperwork to provide the District with teacher assault data.

If You Are Assaulted:

1. If you need immediate medical attention, get it. You can later secure a medical opinion. Take pictures of visible injuries. You may be eligible for Assault Leave. (See Section 701.02 (D) of the CEA
Master Agreement.)

2. Refrain from making statements unless you are advised by legal counsel.

3. Immediately contact your administrator, faculty representative and CEA to let them know an assault has taken place.

4. Give your administrator a concise written account of the incident and a completed SCH-190.

Include attacker?s name, address, phone, birth date, race and parent information. Make several copies for your files.

5. Your principal should contact appropriate personnel and secure written statements from all parties involved. You should request copies.

6. Administration should notify proper agencies, including the police. You have the right to call 911 and Columbus Police (645-4545) yourself. You have the right to make a police report and to file charges.

7. Complete a CCS Incident Report form. Also, file a Workers? Compensation Claim if applicable. Contact the CCS Treasurer?s office.)

8. As soon as possible, write a detailed statement of the incident for your personal files.

9. Keep all records of the incident.

10. CEA will accompany you through the process.